How to Sublease Your Apartment: A Step-by-Step Guide for SAMI Tenants
We know that life can be unpredictable, and sometimes things happen that require you to move out of your place earlier than expected. While SAMI leases don't offer the option to break your rental agreement, we've got your back with our subleasing option! This feature allows you to safely and legally pass on your lease to someone else that's looking for an apartment! Whether you live solo or with roomies, subleasing is a great way to ensure you're not stuck with any remaining payments. Here's the lowdown on how it works:
What Is Subleasing?
Basically, subleasing is when you sign your lease over to a new tenant who will then take over the remainder of your lease. This gets you out of your rental agreement while allowing someone else to snag a last minute spot to live! There are different ways to go about subleasing, but we've got some policies in place to make sure everyone is protected.
SAMI Subleasing Policies
We've set up a system to make sure subleasing is a breeze, while keeping you and the new tenant protected from any scams or fraudlent behavior. At SAMI, we want to make sure that everything is legit, and all funds are handled through us to avoid any confusion. Here's how that works:
1. Let us know! Our team is here to help you out and make sure everything goes smoothly. Keeping us in the loop allows us to help you fill your space and send all agreements and updated documents in a timely manner.
2. List your spot! Check out the subleasing section on our site and add your name, contact info, and details about your apartment to the list. This will let anyone searching for a spot see that yours is open! You can also post your place on the ISU Class of Facebook groups for extra visibility. Just don't post it on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, because that's a no-go for safety reasons.
3. Get chatty! Now you can start communicating with potential subleasers. If someone is interested in your spot, they'll reach out and you can chat with them about the sublease agreement and give them a tour of your unit! If they love it and want to move forward, have them reach out to us to submit an application!
4. Fill out that paperwork! Once their application is approved, our team will send the sublease agreement over to you to sign and get started. Once you're done, we'll send it back to the new tenant to sign as well!
5. Pay those fees. At the time of signing, you will need to pay a $300 sublease fee to complete your side of the agreement. The new tenant will need to pay a move-in/admin fee to complete their side.
Boom! That’s it! You’re free of any lease obligations, and you’ve helped another student find their home! If you’ve got any questions, don’t hesitate to hit up our office – we’ll get you taken care of.